River And Lake Pollution ~ Environmental Issues

River and lake pollution is one of the top environmental issues affecting quality of life today.

What Is River And Lake Pollution

River and lake pollution is the pollution of rivers, lakes, streams, creeks, and estuaries.

What Causes River And Lake Pollution / Causes Of River And Lake Pollution

The top causes of river and lake pollution include:
•discharge from boats
•stormwater drainage
•sewage / failing septic systems
•wildlife
•pesticides
•herbicides
•fertilizers
•oil spills
•industrial waste (often from mining operations)

Facts About River And Lake Pollution

Here are facts about river and lake pollution:
•Only 3% of the water on the planet is fresh water, with the other 97% categorized as salt water.
•Of the 3% of the Earth’s water supply that is freshwater, almost 99% is frozen in the polar ice caps.
•Water from storm drains and ditches rarely gets treated; instead it flows directly into streams or bays.
•Almost half of the streams and lakes in the Unites States are polluted.
•Most of the 2.2 billion pounds of pesticides used in the United States each year will eventually find their way into lakes and rivers.

Other types of pollution include: air pollution, water pollution, and ocean pollution.